Thursday, July 7, 2011

Happy 4th everyone!

I hope all of you had a festive day full of fireworks and watermelon, because we cannot say we had the same celebration here in Kenya. But I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything. However, we did have watermelon! They have spoiled us with incredible fruit here at every meal. After a day of rest, we were eager to journey back to the work site to make more progress on the dining hall. I realized you really have to find your niche in order to be productive. I tried to plane wood the first day, but quickly understood that was not my forte. Ms. Losey, on the other hand, has discovered it to be a new and calming passion. We now appreciate the gift of buying pre-planed wood, but if anyone ever needs it to be done, just call up Lose-dog.
Kate, Carlyle, and Ms. Webster have dominated the plastering duty every day, while Ms. Flynn and others completed a concrete bench outside. Callie and I have been hammering, sawing, and nailing away to soon construct the benches. I think a few of the boys are still recuperating from Day 1’s intense hole digging day, so today they migrated towards the sand paper.
The afternoon consisted of playing with the kids again. They were so excited to see us, especially after yesterday’s rest. Jack and I have found a favorite little peewee boy, names Sianga. I would bring him home in a heartbeat if I could. I brought out my camera and watched their amazed faces as I took pictures and showed them the results. I doubt they see their reflection like that very often so whenever we take a picture, we make sure to let them look. They also love to play with my hair, so we played barbor shop, also known as let’s see how tangled we can make Carolyn’s hair. It is never fun to have to say goodbye to the kids, but they always walk us back to our site and say “See you tomorrow!” I’m just not ready for Wednesday when there won’t be a tomorrow.
We returned for showers and dinner prepared by our famous chef, James, or as we call him, 007. He is the man. Somehow he manages to cook us such exquisite meals over a measly fire every day. If someone hasn’t already mentioned this, the staff here is incredible. Michael carries a constant smile, filling our shower buckets and even making our beds and organizing our tents every day. Robin sets the table and cleans our dishes, never ceasing to whistle or sing a Masai tune. So parents, be ready to continue their pampering style when we get back!! Just kidding ☺. Irwin, Jeff, and Francie, you just wait till you see what kind of dream child enters your house shortly. I’ve missed you all so much! France, hope you are home safely from London. To the other lovely parentals, your kids are still doing well and send their love.
Xoxo,
Carolyn

0 comments:

Post a Comment